Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Let It Snow...Two Ways

With all the wonderful "snowy" challenges going on right now, I had to take a little time to make some cards.  Plus, I wasn't super thrilled with a couple of the Christmas cards I had made, so that was a great excuse to help myself feel like I was doing something that really "needed" to get done. :)  When I saw CAS-ual Fridays and Simon Says Stamp's Let it Snow Challenges they immediately triggered thhoughts of this card....which is one of my very favorite cards I've ever made, and definitely has a CAS design.
Then I saw CASE Study's inspiration photo and Curtain Call's inspiration photo, so I used them for additional inspiration to CASE my previous snowflake card.  I know they all look very similar, but I really put a ridiculous amount of thought into how I would change each of these cards.  And in the end, I scrapped most the "extras" and kept them both pretty bare.  First up is the card that was more inspired by Curtain Call's Challenge.
I layered Lil' Inkers snowflake dies to mimic the layered snowflake cookies, pulling from the white and aqua in the photo.  The lighter brown wood was supposed to mimic the color the cookies are sitting on and for some reason the white on top of the colored cookies just reminded me of string...so that's what I added.  Laura Bassen (love her!) made it look so easy in a video she did, but let me tell you, it took me as long to get the "random, messy" thread to look okay as it did to put everything else together on the card.  I finished the card off by embossing a sentiment from Clearly Besotted's In Stitches: Christmas.  I like how it turned out, but I'm a little worried that it just looks like some thread got caught in a wreath, and I'm a bit afraid to ask you what you think...
Next up is my card inspired by CASE Study's current challenge.  
Obviously I went with the same layout, but I embellished it according to what I saw in the photo.  I used a darker wood as the base to mimic that dark chocolate cupcake, and layered the snowflakes with the light aqua in the back and the smaller darker aqua in front because I wanted it to mimic the large light aqua cupcake with just hints of the darker color in the folds of the frosting. 
I noticed that some of the sprinkles on the inspiration cupcake were white and some were silver and they differed in size, so I used both rhinestones and pearls in different sizes on my card.  I placed them on so they almost looked like falling snow, so it fit even better for CAS-ual Fridays and Simon Says Stamp's Let it Snow Challenges.  Oh, and I used silver wire in the middle of the button to add just a touch more of silver.  And that's it!  Thanks so much for looking!
Challenges Entered:

Simon Says...Let It Snow
Curtain Call: Sweet Snowflakes
CAS-ual Fridays: CFC123 Let It Snow
CASE Study Challenge #170

22 comments:

  1. Love this, Lindsey! It did remind me of Aga and Laura's work with string (thread?). The blue snowflake is so pretty against the woodgrain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these cards are simply awesome!! I am impressed by your attention to detail! Love them both :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beauties, Lindsey. I loved the first one til I saw the contrast on the second one. Wow. It is wonderful. Although I am a wispy thread lover, I really like the gems mimicking snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh WOW Lindsey these cards are gorgeous! I love the wood-grain background and the beautiful snowflakes! Thanks for stopping by with your sweet comment!
    Hugs, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE these cards - the snowflake against the wood plank papers are stunning! I really love the darker color of the base on the CASE Study inspired card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsey, both your cards are fabulous...I love your background 'wood' paper!! the snowflakes are perfect and so is the twine or thread around the first one! You did good!! Merriest of Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all incredible, Lindsey!! Congratulations on the Top Three win from Case Study!!!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is so pretty, Lindsey! love your layered snowflakes! beautiful cards! thanks for joining us this week at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your snowflakes look wonderful against the woodgrain Lindsey - both the string and the bling look super on these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore this, Lindsey! always so happy to see your creations at the Curtain Call!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are sooo pretty, Lindsay ... I love the thread treatment on the first ... almost like threads of frost around the snowflake. The contrast between the snowflake and background on the second is fabulous ... wonderful falling bling! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lindsey! These are gorgeous! I love the woodgrain base you chose for the backdrop of your beautiful layered snowflakes . I love bling and you seem to know how to add just enough. I love stoping in to see your very well thought out cards...you always put so much love into them. Hugs and Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are both really super 'snow' cards. Those layered snowflakes are so pretty, and work so well on any background.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are both gorgeous, Lindsey! And I believe it that it took a while to get the thread that way.... Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay, me again, Lindsey! You've just been showcased over at CAS-ual Fridays, too!! Yipee!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so beautiful and creative, Lindsy. I love how stunning the snowflakes stands out. Just gorgeous.
    Wishing you and all at home a wonderful, blessed holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lindsey! These are so gorgeous! I love the simple, rustic charm of the wooden bg papers and the tangle of shimmery thread. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yupper, me again! This is just soo fun! Congratulations on the honors from Curtain Call! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and wish you all the best in the new year, Lindsey!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  19. So happy to see you showcased on Curtain Call. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww... this is breathtaking :) Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete